Derry's Condo Headshot

Derry's Condo Headshot

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Being Financially Savvy

Don't get me wrong, I'm a total nerd who eats all of this up. The thing that always gets me though, is the fact that I didn't study a lick of this in college and I feel fairly competent. Part of the reason I feel savvy is that as a landlord, I review rental applications regularly and I've heard some crazy stories.

My favorite story was we once had someone come to us saying that nearly a decade ago, a girl had an ex-boyfriend who ruined her credit. She wasn't clear on the details, but she blamed the boyfriend. Her response to the situation: stopped using credit entirely and paid for everything in cash. I nearly keeled over sick to my stomach thinking that someone would operate as such. Given our criteria, I couldn't rent to her because we ask for a particular minimum for a credit score, which can't happen if you don't use it.

Outside of the landlord relevance, why is a real estate advisor talking about being financially savvy? I want all of my clients to be financially successful. More importantly, one of my favorite podcasts, "Freakonomics" had an entire episode dedicated to being financially savvy. I think it's exceptionally educational, simple, straightforward and intuitive if you really think about it all critically.

You can check out the simple tips and wonderful episode here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment